UK Family Law Reform

Free information index

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 10:01 AM
Subject: RE: Request for information under the freedom of information act.

Dear Mr Mortimer

Thank you for your freedom of information requested dated 28 December 2013.

Belfast City Council does not hold the information you have requested. This is because in Northern Ireland district councils, such as Belfast City Council, are not responsible for child protection.

As far as I am aware this function is administered by the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPSNI). You may, therefore, wish to contact the DHSSPSNI's Freedom of Information Officer. Their email address is

If you are dissatisfied with how the Council handled your request for information, you have the right to request that the Council formally review this decision. If you wish to do so, please write to the Records Manager, Chief Executive's Department, Belfast City Council, City Hall, Belfast, BT1 5GS.

Should you remain dissatisfied following the Council's internal review; you can seek an independent review from the Information Commissioner. Requests for an independent review should be made in writing to: The Information Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. However, I would advise you that the Information Commissioner has indicated that a review will not be undertaken unless the Council has first had an opportunity to re-consider its decision.

If you have any queries about this e-mail, please contact me.

Yours sincerely

Moya Sheridan
Legal Services
Belfast City Council

Ext 6046

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 28 December 2013 10:40
Subject: Request for information under the freedom of information act.

Dear Belfast Council

Request for information under the freedom of information act.

Please will you kindly tell me what the (a) gender and (b) familial relationship was to the child victim of offenders in substantiated child abuse cases in the area which you have a duty to protect children from abuse for the last full year which figures are available, broken down by (i) physical abuse, (ii) emotional abuse, (iii) sexual abuse and (iv) cases of neglect.

David Mortimer

Who do local authorities protect children from? 28th December 2013

A change would be in the best interests of children.